1.03.2011

2010

When i think about the last year, the feelings that come to mind are 'simple, stable, and content'. Even though we did a lot {remodeled our house, had a baby, got pregnant with another baby, and moved} it feels like it's been a really low-key year. With every year that goes by, I think we are settling into our roles as husband/wife and parents a little better. That's not to say that we're perfecting our roles...that couldn't be farther from the truth! I guess, as time goes on and our family grows, we're learning to have a little more grace and lightheartedness.
If we learned anything from our firstborn, it's that IT. GOES. FAST. In the blink of an eye Finley has turned into a sassy, brilliant, hilarious three year old. And our baby is on the verge of being not-so-babyish. We look forward to watching our girls grow and all the fun that comes with having older children, but we also know the importance of savoring each moment with them. Over the last couple months I've been paying closer attention to how I spend my time. Sure, I'm home with the girls 24-7, but if i'm not intentional with my time, the days get filled up with to-do lists, projects i want to get done, surfing the internet, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with those things, I'm just working on finding a balance that's good for everyone. I'm hoping that as we go into a new year, and welcome another baby, it's something that i'll continue to think about.

Sometimes we look at how much our lives have changed in the last few years and laugh. We have no nightlife {how embarrassing is it that i fell asleep before midnight on NYE!}, we don't go on exotic vacations, and we would rather buy a light fixture for our house than eat a meal at a fancy restaurant. We are really boring by a lot of people's standards.

But, I will tell you this, 2010 was full of:


dance parties
slobbery kisses
forts
silly toddler humor
adorable baby babble
and family snuggle time in our bed.


the season of life we're in might not be the most glamorous or exciting {unless you're like me and you get excited about a solid nights sleep, or baby poop that is the proper consistency}. but, it sure is rewarding and oh so fun.


 the other morning we brought the girls in our bed for a few minutes before we started the day. for some reason they love playing in our bed. adalaide goes especially crazy over all the down and pillows. i listened to them laugh and squeal and i couldn't help smiling. Then i remembered that in a little while we'll be making room for another little girl, and i just felt so complete and content. i know this is incredibly mushy, but God has given us so much. I am just so thankful for my husband, our kids, our cozy home, and the simple things that bring us joy.


wishing you a very wonderful 2011.


and now you can throw up.

6 comments:

mimi said...

what a beautiful and honest post. Life does change, for all of us. Different needs and priorities, goals and dreams.And yes, it goes by too fast, savor the moments large and small. This past year has gone by so fast! I am so thankful that you are closer especially with a new baby coming. Happy and exciting times ahead, life is good~

Meghan Beck said...

I love this Meghan. It's so true how our ideas of fun change. Keep sharing, I love reading :)

Jen said...

So. Well. Said.

hillary said...

your posts have started to have a theme for me called: "should i have another baby?"

Grandma said...

Tears welled up as I read this post, Meghan. Knowing some of the "life" that has taken place behind your words and the person you are letting God shape you into becomming brings such joy to my life. The home that you are providing where Christ's life can be nurtured is apparant. May He continue to fill you with joy and strength as you to seek to serve Him.

Lindsey Regalia said...

Geez Meg you sure do know how to make people cry. I am glad I couldn't sleep so I could catch up on your blog. xo