3.11.2010

update on adalaide

I wish i had some other pictures to share, but unfortunately this is what we've been up to. At 8 days old sweet Adalaide came down with a really bad cold. A few days later we ended up in the ER at Children's and found out that she has RSV {a respiratory virus that is really dangerous for babies, especially infants}. We've spent the better part of a week here at the hospital. There have been a few scary moments where her oxygen level dips dangerously low and nurses run in with the big oxygen mask and jostle her to take a deep breath. But, we're really encouraged by the improvement she's made in the last day. We are sharing a room with an 8 month old who has the same thing, and adalaide is recovering much quicker. The nurses can't believe how well our tiny baby is doing, all things considered. We'll be able to go home once she is breathing on her own for 24 hours, which we expect to happen in the next few days.

If I'm completely honest, I think I'm the one taking this all the hardest. My postpartum hormones are still out of whack, and i can't even put into words how exhausted we are. Sleep is pretty much non-existent. And it's been really hard to be quarantined from Finley. Even though i know she's in great hands with her grandmas, it breaks my heart to think how confusing this must be for her.

I've got a love/hate thing going on with this place. It's comforting to know that we are at the very best place to have a sick child. The nurses and doctors are so thorough it's almost ridiculous. I swear that someone is coming in to take her vitals or monitor her every 15 minutes! But, I hate being here. I hate that i cant snuggle my baby whenever I want. I hate seeing her poked, prodded, and hooked up to all sorts of machines. I hate walking down the hall and seeing other sick little angels {most much worse off than ours}. I hate going to the cafeteria and making eye contact with other tired, tear stained eyes. Its just a place you really hope to avoid.

Thankfully, we know that our baby is improving every day. She WILL make it through this. In no time our family will all be together again and we can snuggle our girls till we're blue in the face.

p.s. finley had us in the ER and hospital when she was 10 days old too. These girls, i tell ya.

6 comments:

Chris, Amanda and Addison said...

Meghan - we will be praying for all of you! I cannot imagine what you must be going through. Many Prayers and Blessings!

Blake said...

Praying for you, Brian, Adalaide and her big sister, Finley. Not a fun time, but It's good to hear she's getting better.

mike, hill, and isabella said...

still praying, megs. love you and i'm so sorry you guys are going through this.

Meghan Elaine said...

Meghan I'm so sorry! I'll be praying too...A big hug to you.

3mily said...

meghan may you all be granted some rest soon and may Adelaide recover as quickly as possible

Kate and Pete and Verm kids said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Marek had us in the ER a couple days after he was born. All I remember was sitting in the corner crying uncontrollably the entire time. So I get the hormone thing. Your babies are in good hands. We'll be praying for all of you. AND Cannot wait to meet you new little girl. Take care and try to get some rest. I don't want to be praying for a sick Mommy in a couple of days! love you...